Sunday 17 January 2010

Industry Exercises 2

This is the first post of my new project brief - industry exercises 2!

So far we have not been able to have any lessons for it at college because of the snow. I have already started my project however, and hope that this coming Wednesday I will be able to present it to my tutor, get feedback and then develop it as best I can!

So the brief...

"you must choose a short clip from a film and
composite in your own animated character, props or buildings. Perhaps you
feel that Four Weddings and A Funeral would have been better if there had
been more gorillas in it. Or that Titanic would have been better with
giant sea monsters. This is your chance to put things right. The clip you
use must, when composited, show at least 30 seconds of your own work. Do
not choose any animated films as you will have to match or better the
existing characters in the film. I can guarantee that the animators
working on that film would have had a lot more time than you have for this
project. So keep your choice to a live action film."

Our tutor, Stephen Crocker, has also stated that we can use either 2D or 3D.. and seeing as how I will be doing a lot of 3D work in my 'Digital Environments' project (see my other blog for info on that) I want to use 2D for this! (plus I had a lot of fun with it last time... might try and use Toonboom rather than Flash this time so I get a feel for different software).

I've watched a few films and television programmes over the past couple weeks in preparation;
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
Harry Potter 4
It Could Happen To You
Forest Gump
28 Days Later
Singing In The Rain

I picked these because I enjoy them and because they are all from different genres.
By process of elimination I want to either choose 'Singing In The Rain' or 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest'. These two don't have many special effects in them because they were made quite a few years ago and so animation might look better in comparison to films like Harry Potter which are full of special effects or Forest Gump where no good 'animation' moments jumped out at me.


My ideas so far...

This is the extract from 'Singing In The Rain';



I want to animated an eldery painter in the background getting bothered by their dancing and/or joining in!


And here's the extract from 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest' (couldn't find a youtube version without commentary so feel free to mute);



Since most of the characters in this film are 'crazy' I thought I could animate random animals or strange creatures that are part of their imagination.


I'm going to make a couple of brief storyboards for each idea and then pick which one.
For the moment, my main animation idea is to have it in the style of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' so I will watch that film again as well for reference...



Hope to post up some of my storyboards soon, so until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment